These mini apple pies made with wonton wrappers are an ideal quick snack for after school, not to mention they are the perfect size for one person.
Plus they are delicious and so easy to make you are sure to find yourself making them frequently especially if you keep fresh apples on hand.
Mini Apple Pies Are Delicious And Easy To Make
Once you make this recipe the first time, it is sure to become a favorite of your family, so be sure to print it out so you don’t lose track of it.
Besides being great for the whole family to eat, these wonton wrapper mini apple pies are so easy to bake when unexpected guests arrive.
Here is my recipe:
- 4 apples, diced
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice fresh apples.
- Place the water, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and flour in a stainless steel pan and whisk them together over medium heat.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the apples and stir until the liquid begins to boil and thicken.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook the apple mixture, covered for 12 to 15 minutes or until the apples begin to soften. Be sure to stir the mixture occasionally so it does not burn in the pan
- Press the wonton wrapped into a greased mini-muffin pan.
- For sweeter tarts, sprinkle the wonton wrappers with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Scoop the apple mixture into the wonton wrappers and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mini apple tarts from the muffin pan and serve immediately. Add a dollop of whipped cream if you wish.
Wonton Wrapper Substitutions
In the event you don’t have any wonton wrappers on hand or don’t want to run to the store to buy some, you can try some of these easy substitutions.
Any type of pie crust cut to the size of your muffin pan or cupcake wrapper will work.
Of course, so would croissants or even cinnamon rolls as long as you used a rolling pin to flatten them out.
Whatever type of crust you use, you want it to stick over the top of the muffin pan or cupcake wrapper just slightly.
The average size of wonton wrappers are 3 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches, so knowing that should make it easy enough to cut pie crust or even croissants down to size.
Wonton wrappers are also very thin, so try for a thickness of somewhere between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch.
The thicker the crust, the less filling you will taste and the idea behind this recipe is to let the filling be the star of the show.
Think outside the box and come up with a crust you might enjoy!
If you are looking for more apple pie style recipes that are easy to make, be sure to check out my post on how to make a Crescent Rolls Apple Pie Filling Dessert Recipe.